- Boxes of all sizes – ask your local supermarket or chemist or try freecycle – lots of people donate theirs after they’ve moved
- Old newpapers
- Marker pens
Be utterly ruthless with what you throw out – decluttering is key, do you really need it? Or will it just go into storage in the new place? If so, now is the time to throw it away!
- Start packing the non-essentials as soon as you know you are moving, its always surprising how much stuff you have, so the sooner you start the easier it will be
- Take photos – photograph wires at the back of the tele or other electrics, or photograph shelving and displays, it will help you recreate it in your new home
- Fill empty gaps in the boxes by stuffing in old newspapers, packing papers, or just old rags. This should hopefully secure the items for the journey.
- Let calon know when you are moving, either by calling us on 02920434429 or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Label your boxes! Not just rooms but contents – label top and bottom for easy visibility
Pack an overnight bag for everyone and put them somewhere separate where they can be easily found. Car boot/local friend etc
- Number the bedrooms and the boxes accordingly and then when you get to the house stick a sheet of white paper on each door with its corresponding number. Then any removal men or peoples helping can just look at the number on the box and stick it in the right bedroom
- Clean your property and ensure all items are removed
- Return your keys to Calon at the Cadwyn office at 197 Newport Road, CF24 1AJ
Have a separate and easily accessible box of kettle, tea and coffee, milk, sugar, phone chargers, contact numbers for utility suppliers and your a/c details with them, snacks, sellotape, big inky pen and scissors
Make up your beds as soon as you get in your new house then you don’t have to face it later
- Children can find moving unsettling, so give them some toys and treats and settle them in the safe room
- Update your address! Or pay for mail redirection at your local post office.
Remember Rome wasn’t built in a day and it will take a while to turn your house into a home. So get the kettle on and relax.